Because a lack of preparation could make a treatment unsafe or cause reinfestation of the entire home or building, we may not treat areas that are not prepared to specification.
- Be prepared to leave the home during treatment and for at least five hours.
- Remove all pets from the home during the time of treatment excluding fish tanks. Fish tanks are to be covered with plastic wrap, and pumps turned off until reoccupying home.
- Remove all sheets, covers, dust ruffles, or any other bedding covers from the mattresses and box spring in all bedrooms. Wash all bed linens in the hottest water possible. Do not replace the bed linens until four hours after treatment.
- If any mattresses, box springs, or other furniture are in poor or ripped condition and infested, they should be placed in large plastic storage bags available at moving or storage stores, then removed from your home and discarded. Note: It may be necessary to remove the backing from box springs in order to treat all harborage areas.
- Remove all personal items including clothes, toys, shoes, stored materials, etc., from the furniture and floor area throughout the home.
- Remove everything from ALL closets. Completely empty all bedroom drawers and empty all books and items from bookcases prior to treatment.
- Clean or launder all clothing in the hottest water possible and store in clean storage bags for up to two weeks after treatment. Any stuffed toys or other fabric-based personal items should be run through a pre-heated, hot dryer cycle for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Vacuum all of carpeting, bedding, bed frame, backs of pictures, and other areas bedbugs are seen. Immediately empty the vacuum cleaner bag and dispose of it in an exterior dumpster or trash.
- To give the treatment time to work, do not shampoo or clean floors or carpet for at least three weeks after the treatment. The vacuum may be used as desired.
- Move all items and furniture away from walls. The West Coast Exterminators will need access to all baseboards and behind all furniture. (Everything may be returned to its original location after the treatment is completed.)
- The bathtub, kitchen counters, dining room tables, and coffee tables can be used to place items during treatment.
- Allow three weeks from time of treatment for it to be completely effective. If the problem persists after two weeks, it is advisable that homeowners contact West Coast Exterminators, and apartment residents, contact their management office.
- Clean the home prior to the pest control visit, and maintain the home as neatly as possible for long-term results. This helps to eliminate competing food sources for the insects. Additionally, when the home is clean, the roaches will be more easily attracted to the bait and not to food sources.
- Cover and store any open food. Remove foods, small appliances, and other small items from countertops.
- Store and/or cover baby toys, supplies and crib mattress.
- Mop/scrub kitchen and other hard floors and woodwork with detergent. Thoroughly vacuum carpeted floors.
- Vacuum up any visible roaches and eggs just before the service visit, using the crevice attachment to get into cracks. After vacuuming, take the vacuum cleaner outside, remove the vacuum bag, seal it, and discard in trash. Take a damp cloth and wipe down the entire vacuum cleaner. Continue to vacuum or otherwise kill any roaches that are seen.
- Always keep garbage in closed containers and take out the garbage every night.
- Remove items from the top of the refrigerator, stove, and any other such movable appliances. Prior to service, move these appliances away from the wall, and clean behind and beneath them. If the stove has a removable bottom drawer that opens to the floor, it is not necessary to move the entire stove.
- Be sure that the technician has free and full access to anywhere that cockroaches have been seen (or anywhere specified by the technician).
- Discard all excess paper products, excess plastic bags, and any other unused piles or trash as these are harborage areas for roaches and other pests.
- Homeowners should repair any water leaks immediately upon detection; apartment residents should report the leak to maintenance immediately upon detection.
- If anyone in the home has special allergy problems, is pregnant, or is under the age of one, West Coast Exterminators should be informed prior to service and precautions taken. All people and pets should stay out of the area being serviced for at least four hours.
- After service, keep sanitation to as high a level as possible to allow all products to work as swiftly as possible. Do not touch cockroach gel or allow children or pets to get near.